Activity on Local Government Property

Under Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law, the Shire of Exmouth regulates activity organisers and vendors wishing to operate on Council land to ensure these activities are carried out in a safe manner for all members of the public, as well as ensuring access to limited public spaces and beaches is balanced.  

This includes (but is not limited to) the following activities:

  • Commercial beach activities (surf schools, water sports equipment hire)
  • Fundraising (selling raffle tickets)
  • Mobile vending (food vans)
  • Private functions (wedding ceremonies)

If you are an itinerant trader, please refer to CEG012 - Mobile Training.

If you are a commercial operator with tenancy within the Town Centre, please refer to the CEG013 - Town Centre Public Space & Outdoor Eating Permits

If you are a permanent-tenancy food business, looking to create a high-quality outdoor dining area in a public space, please refer to Local Policy 6.8 - Outdoor Eating Permits Guidelines. In this case please contact the Environmental Health Officer of the Shire.

What is Council land?

Council is responsible for managing the following types of land:

  • Freehold and leasehold lands (sports ovals, beaches*) 
  • Public open space (Parks and Gardens, i.e. Federation Park, Lefroy Park, etc.)
  • Thoroughfares (Kennedy Street mall, Ross Street mall, etc.)

*Please note that the territory of the Cape Range National Park is managed by another government department, the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA).

**Please note that the coastal line and beaches north of Tantabiddi beach to Mildura wreck Road is under the joint management of the Shire of Exmouth and the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA).

How close can I operate to another business?

For mobile vending, applicants must be aware of other approved fixed and mobile operators already existing in the area. The restriction of a minimum radius of 300 m applies and this means the applicants wanting to sell or carry the supply of goods and services similar in nature to other approved operators in the area will not be permitted. 

How to lodge an application?

Prepare your application package to include:

  • Application form (all sections of the form must be completed in an accurate manner)
  • Certificate of Currency - Public Liability Insurance of no less than $20 million, issued on the name of the applicant
  • Site plan, showing your preferred location 
  • Other if applicable (e.g. Notification for Food stall &/or Temporary Food business; Food Registration)

Lodge your application using one of the following methods:

In Person:

At the Shire's administration office
Ningaloo Centre, 2 Truscott Crescent
Exmouth WA 6707

Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 4:15pm

By Post
Shire of Exmouth
PO box 21
Exmouth WA 6707

By E-mail


The associated application fee must be paid in full upon lodgment of the application.

The permit fee must be paid upon receipt of the permit and is calculated based on the space occupied and fees schedule below:

If the application is lodged by post or e-mail, the fees could be distantly paid over the phone (tel. 08 9949 3000) with a bank card. 

Assessment process

The Shire's Town Planning unit will assess the application against the relevant requirements of the Local Laws and any relevant Council Policies. If additional information is required, a Shire's Officer will contact you to discuss further. A determination on your application will be made to see if your activity is suitable in the area proposed, for which you will be notified in writing and notified for the applicable fees. 

Please allow minimum of 14 business days for the processing of your application.