Building Applications

Building permits are controlled by the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012.

A building permit is required for all structures (residential, commercial or industrial) before any building work can be carried out.*

This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Houses, granny flats, additions and alterations 
  • Patios, verandahs, gazebos, pergolas and decks
  • Sheds,  garages, carports, workshops
  • Swimming pools, pool fencing, spas
  • Retaining walls
  • Shop fitouts, mezzanine floors, change of use (converting an office to a shop)
  • Commercial and industrial buildings 
  • Demolition of domestic and commercial buildings.

*unless there is an exemption for the proposed work under Part 5 of the Act and Part 6 of the Regulations.

Please note that in some cases a development approval is required before a building permit can be issued. Development approval should be obtained before lodging a building permit application with the Shire. For further information please refer to the Town Planning section of this web-site.

Building Permits

Certified Permit (Class 1b and 2 to 9)

A certified application is an application for a building permit which has already been certified by a registered Building Surveying practitioner and has been issued with a Certificate of Design Compliance.

Occupancy Permit

An occupancy permit must be obtained from a permit authority before a Class 2 to Class 9 building can be occupied. It covers circumstances such as:

  • occupying a completed new building or a new part of an existing building (s. 46);
  • occupying an incomplete building or part of a building on a temporary basis (s. 47);
  • modifying the current occupancy permit for additional use of a building on a temporary basis (s. 48);
  • occupying a building or part of a building that has undergone a permanent change of use or classification (s. 49);
  • authorising and occupying an unauthorised building or an unauthorised part of a building (s. 51); and
  • authorising a building with existing approval with a new or replacement occupancy permit (s. 52) – this demonstrates that an existing building complies with the relevant building standards and is safe to occupy.

A copy or details of the occupancy permit must be displayed at or near the principal entrance to the building so that it is clearly visible to occupiers and other people using the building.

Uncertified Permit  (Class 1a, 10a and 10b buildings only -being residential/domestic)

An uncertified application is an application where the application has not been certified by a registered Building Surveying practitioner, where the landowner seeks for a registered Building Surveying practitioner employed by the Shire to both assess the plans for compliance, and issue a Certificate of Design Compliance and also issue the building permit.

Demolition Permit

[Content is under development]

What needs to be lodged?

Download helpful information, guides and application forms here

Builder and Owner/Builder Registration

If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 a permit can only be issued to a Registered Builder or an Owner Builder (excluding swimming pools and retaining walls). To find out how to become an owner builder please visit the Building Commission website  

Building and Construction Industry Training Fund Levy (BCITF)

Where the estimated value of work exceeds $20,000, a BCTF form must been completed and submitted with the application. Forms are available from the front counter of the Shire or alternatively contact Construction Training Fund directly.

Energy Efficiency

All buildings (including additions to existing residential dwellings) need to comply with Energy Efficiency requirements. Fir further information please seek the services of an accredited House Energy Rating Scheme (HERS) assessor. 

Insert content here.


Building Surveying Services

Certificate of Design Compliance

[Content is under development]

Certificate of Building Compliance

[Content is under development]

Certificate of Construction Compliance

[Content is under development]

BAL Assessment 

[Content is under development]

Insert content here.


How to lodge an application?

Please ensure all sections of the relevant application form are completed and attach it to your application package along with payment of the statutory fees.

Building applications can be lodged using one of the following methods:

In Person
Shire of Exmouth administration office
Ningaloo Centre
2 Truscott Crescent
Exmouth WA 6707

Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 4:15pm

By Post
Shire of Exmouth
PO box 21
Exmouth WA 6707

By E-mail



Please refer to the adopted by the Council of Exmouth Fees and Charges

The associated fees must be paid in full upon lodgement with the Shire. If the application is lodged by post or e-mail. The fees could be distantly paid over the phone with a bank card.