Other Environmental Health Services

Environmental Health is concerned with all aspects of the natural and built environment that may affect human health. Environmental Health Services aim to ensure high standards of environmental health and to promote healthy living and work practices throughout the Shire of Exmouth. Environmental Health is governed largely by state legislation that can be viewed on the State Law Publisher website. Some areas of environmental health also operate under the Shire of Exmouth Local Laws. Environmental Health Officers provide assistance and information on a wide range of services directed at the maintenance, promotion, and improvement of public and environmental health. These services are grouped into the following broad program areas:



Beauty Therapy

Concerts and Events

Environmental Nuisance and Pollution

Pest Control

Public Buildings

Water Quality/Pools



Environmental Heatlh Officers inspect public accommodation premises such as lodging houses, hotels, motels, bed and breakfast accommodation, caravan parks and camping grounds on a regular basis. Premises that provide accommodation are required to be licensed or registered with the local government.

For more information on applying for a licence please contact the Shire's Environmental Health Department on (08) 9949 3000.  

Application for a Lodging House



Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous crystalline mineral, found in rock formations. Three main types of asbestos have been mined in Australian, including crocidolite (blue asbestos), amosite (brown asbestos) and chrysotile (white asbestos). Asbestos cement products were commonly manufactured in WA from 1921 to 1987. The use of crocidolite ceased in 1966. Most uses of amosite ceased in May 1984. The use of chrysotile asbestos was phased out between 1981 and 1987. Manufacturing of all asbestos products ceased in 1987.

Asbestos cement products were commonly used in buildings during the establishment of Exmouth and as a result, many current buildings may contain asbestos. Asbestos is a hazardous material. Its removal and disposal is legislated by the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992 and Worksafe WA. Strict requirements for the removal of asbestos must be followed. Please go to the Department of Health and the Worksafe websites for further information. There is also a handy online course developed by Cancer Council Australia which helps to get to know asbestos. 

Please click this link for Asbestos removal and disposal information sheet  

Beauty Therapy

Beauty therapy covers the various types of activities; hairdressing, skin penetration and waxing;

Hairdressing establishments are required to comply with the Hairdressing Establishments Regulations 1972,
Council’s Environmental Health Officers conduct regular inspections to maintain compliance.

Skin Penetration and Beauty Therapy establishments are required to comply with the Health (Skin Penetration Procedures) Regulations 1998 and the Code of Practice for Skin Penetration Procedure. These establishments are required to notify the Shire of where the activities are being conducted and obtain approval.

Application for Fit-Out of Hairdressing/Skin Penetration Premises

Note: A home-based Hairdressing/Skin Penetration Business also requires an Application for Home Occupation, please refer to Planning Services for more information and how to apply.


Concerts and Events

There are a range of public health requirements for concerts and events. These can include things such as ensuring public safety, the provision of bins, toilets and water.

1. Under the Health (Public Building) Regulations 1992, outdoor events are considered public buildings.

The following are requirements under the above regulations:

  • toilet facilities relevant to the expected attendance;
  • disabled access (for both the event grounds in general and toilet facilities);
  • evacuation plan, emergency lighting and exitsigns are to be provided;
  • general lighting for evening and night events
  • all electrical equipment, switches, meters are to be protected from the public and a certificate of    electrical
  • compliance (Form 5) must be completed and lodged with the Shire prior to commencement of the event;
  • fire fighting equipment and adequate communications are to be supplied.

2. Event organisers are to provide sufficient waste disposal facilities relevant to the expected attendance.

3. Any stalls, vehicles or premises preparing and/or selling food are to comply with the Food Act 2008. Applicants intending to sell food at the event must complete the Temporary Food Business Form at least 2 weeks prior to the event. Please refer to the Food Safety section of our website for additional requirements. 

4. Under the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997, noise levels are to comply with the levels set out in those regulations.

Public Events Application Form and Information Package .


Environmental Nuisance and Pollution

Environmental Nuisance and Pollution control, involves the investigation and resolution of nuisance and pollution issues. This often involves the mediation of neighbour-to-neighbour conflicts and may require the investigation of businesses when formal complaints have been received.

Property owners are responsible for ensuring that the activities conducted on their property do not have a negative impact on neighbouring properties, residences and the environment.

The Health Act 1911 and Environmental Protection Act 1986 empower the Shire to issue notices in instances whereby a nuisance is deemed to be occurring.

The nature of environmental nuisance concerns investigated by the Environmental Health Section includes the following:

  • Noise Pollution
  • Air pollution
  • Environmental pollution
  • Odour nuisance
  • Sewerage nuisance

If you have a concern in relation to the above about a neighbouring property or a property within the Shire please submit a complaint in writing to the Shire office.

Noise Pollution

Noise is not only annoying but can cause stress, which ultimately impacts on health. Noise is regulated by the Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 which specifies allowable levels of specific land use areas Eg residential versus industrial. Various types of noise are regulated by different bodies.

In some cases it may be necessary for officers to conduct noise monitoring to resolve a dispute.

Noise Complaint Form


Pest Control

The Shires pest control program is focused mainly on combating fly breeding at the rubbish tip, baiting or eliminating known or potential mosquito breeding areas and spraying for adult mosquitoes when necessary.

Residents can assist in reducing fly breeding by wrapping all food wastes before placing it in rubbish bins and ensuring the correct use of compost bins.

In relation to mosquito breeding, residents can assist by checking their yards and surrounds. Things to look out
for are containers and objects that may be retaining water and providing habitats for ‘back yard’ breeding. Some of the common backyard breeding sites to look out for include:-

  • Containers that can hold water eg; old tyres, toys, buckets etc;
  • Rain water tanks that are not screened properly;                                                                                   
  • Ornamental ponds;
  • Poorly maintained septic systems; and
  • Pot plant drip trays.

If you have a mosquito problem at your home or place of business it is more than likely to be a localised problem caused by one or more of the above factors. As mosquitoes can be vectors of debilitating and even potentially fatal diseases, it is very important that the community take responsible action to eliminate breeding sites around the home and work place.  


Public Buildings

A public building is any building, or part of a building where people assemble. Public buildings also include tents, enclosures, platforms and in the case of some events can temporarily include outdoor areas such as ovals.

Public buildings are inspected for public safety by the Shire Environmental Health Officers. It is important for public buildings to have correct exit paths and lighting so that public safety is ensured in the case of an emergency.

Public buildings need to be registered with the Shire. For further information and to apply please contact our Environmental Health Officer on 08 9949 3000.


Water Quality / Pools

Australians have come to expect and take for granted the provision of safe water. Commercial and public premises should be able to guarantee that the water they provide is safe for drinking and/or swimming.

Water quality not only applies to drinking water but also to recreational water (eg: pools and spas). Contact with contaminated recreational water can still make a person sick. For this reason, guidelines for bacterial and chemical levels are set for not only drinking water but also recreational water bodies.

Drinking Water

There are a number of different ways to make water safe to drink. These can include filtration to remove bacteria
(eg: Reverse osmosis) and disinfection such as chlorination. All drinking water sources from commercial operations (eg: Caravan parks) that are not connected to town water are tested monthly by the Shire to ensure safe water for the public. Town water is managed and tested by Water Corporation.

Public/ Commercial Swimming Pools and Spa Pools

The bacterial and amoebic content of the water contained in swimming pools and spa pools are monitored by the Shire's Environmental Health Officers to ensure that people do not become sick or develop infections from swimming in the water. The chlorine levels as well as the pH levels are also monitored. If the pH drops too low or rises too high, the effectiveness of the chlorine reduces which, may allow bacteria and/or amoeba to grow.

For further information please contact the Shire's Environmental Health Officer on 9949 3000.